June 13, 2015
Hurricane Help - We Want You to Be Prepared!
With another hurricane season underway, all of us at Ernest Signature Custom Homes want to take the time to remind you that one of the most important things you can do for your family is to protect them when a big storm comes our way. Even though there hasn’t been a hurricane evacuation in the Coastal Empire for almost 20 years, it’s impossible to predict when disaster will strike next. By being ready for an evacuation in advance, you’ll give everyone in your family peace of mind and a greater sense of security. The suggestions below will help you design a hurricane evacuation plan that will help your family get through one of the most frightening natural disasters to hit our area. Once you’ve put together your hurricane plan, be sure to write down each critical task and meeting point and post it where everyone can access it easily. Assign certain responsibilities to each family member and make sure that each person knows what their jobs are and where they should go in case of an emergency.
- Make sure to select a meeting place that everyone knows in advance, so that family members can be reunited if separated.
- Prepare for limited communication.
- Make arrangements for your pets.
- Keep important documents or copies of them in a safe, accessible place.
- Weatherproof your home before a storm threatens it.
- Prepare an evacuation kit to take with you – ahead of time!
- Make sure your vehicle is in safe operating condition.
- Don’t forget entertainment…you’ll probably have some down time to fill!
- If you think you have enough batteries stored in your kit…think again and pick up some more.
- Don’t panic…