5 Tips to Choose the Right Floor Plan
One of the most exciting times in your life can be choosing to build a new home. Here at Ernest Homes, we know that selecting the right floor plan depends on how you use your home and how it fits with your lifestyle. From the size and shape, to where the rooms are located in relation to each other, every part of the home can affect your experience, so knowing what you really want is crucial. We have five tips to help you choose the right home for your lifestyle.
1) Figure out what size home will best suit your needs.
Choosing a floor plan should start with how large a home you need to fit your lifestyle. How many bedrooms and bathrooms are enough for you and visiting guests? How many garage bays do you need? Are you downsizing or expecting to grow your family? Think about the space you wish you had (or don’t need) now and prioritize your most important needs.
2) Choose a floor plan based on your lifestyle.
Every family has their own style, so choosing a floor plan that meets your needs is essential. Do you work from home and need an office? Are you a movie buff who wants a media room? Do the kids need a rec room? Think about the space you need to be comfortable based on your daily activities.
3) Trust your instincts on what “feels” right when choosing a floor plan.
All of us know when a space feels comfortable. Take these instincts into consideration when looking at different floor plans. Someone with children may want the master bedroom up with the other bedrooms. On the other hand, an older couple might prefer for the master bedroom to be downstairs, separated from the other bedrooms.
4) Be honest about your needs and lifestyle.
Lifestyles and family needs differ depending on what stage of life you are in. Features that young couples look for in a home are different from what a single person or a retired couple might find important. Before choosing a home design, ask yourself:
- Do you have plans to start a family? How many children? Is there room in your plan for growth?
- Will you need guest rooms for overnight visitors?
- What about additional living space for visiting parents or grandchildren?
- Are you approaching retirement? Should you choose a plan that’s great for aging in place?
- How do you entertain? Do you want formal spaces or relaxed get-togethers?
- What will your budget allow when it comes to the amount of space needed for your lifestyle and plans?
5) Don’t forget workspace considerations.
Are you working from home more these days, or even full-time? Do you have any hobbies or special interests that might require special rooms to enjoy them? Do you need lots of attic or storage space to store your treasures?
Answering these questions honestly will ensure that you choose the right floor plan for your lifestyle now and into the future. If you need any guidance or suggestions, our new home specialists are here to help! Please give us a call at 912-660-9673 or schedule a personal tour of our models today.