Mudroom Designs That “Wow”!
Homebuilding is constantly changing. Every year, we see new trends in home design, fixtures, and building materials. As a go-to Georgia Coastal homebuilder, Ernest Homes is at the forefront of figuring out which trends are fleeting and which ones are keepers. Even more vital: Which ones will actually add value to a home and to a homeowner’s life? One room that has become an absolute must-have with an Ernest home is the humble mudroom.What Is A Mudroom?
So, what’s a mudroom? As its name implies, a mudroom is a dedicated space in the home, typically located near an entrance, where you can remove any outerwear items before entering the living spaces such as the kitchen, family room, etc. A mudroom is a workhorse of a space, fulfilling a variety of different purposes depending on the home and the family. (Depending on the size or location of the space, it may also function as part of the laundry room.)
A mudroom is a transitional space, bridging the gap between the outside world and your clean floors. The place to hang coats and kick off wet boots. The place to corral dirty shoes, drippy umbrellas, or random golf accessories. And when you have months of cold and/or wet weather, an essential space for keeping your house clean.
A mudroom is also a huge factor in staying organized. As anyone with a busy life can attest, clutter is a daily nemesis. By having a designated place for all the items that tend to cause clutter in your home, you can avoid having them scattered all over which will help keep your life and living spaces tidy and organized.
Decorating Ideas For The Most Useful Room In The House
Ample storage, durable materials, a place to sit… The basics of mudroom design aren’t complicated. And just because a mudroom is practical, it doesn’t mean it can’t be attractive. Keep your mudroom decor consistent with your home. Here are some mudroom design ideas for getting the most out of this flexible space.
- Cubbies, Shelves & Additional Storage. Mudrooms need storage of all kinds. Customizable cubbies can accommodate sports gear, outdoor toys, or gardening tools. Cabinets can hide the chaos, while open shelves make it easy to find things when you’re rushing around. If your mudroom has a closet, it’s the ideal place to store out-of-season clothing, such as winter coats in the summer and sandals in the winter.
- Hooks. An essential for hanging coats, jackets, hats, and scarves, keeping them within reach and easily accessible. Each family member can have their own dedicated hook - including the dog, so you can quickly find leashes.
- Benches or Similar Seating. A mudroom needs a place to sit down and take off or put on your shoes. A bench or sturdy chair will do the trick. A bench with a flip-up seat for extra concealed storage is a bonus. And a boot tray can slide underneath for seamless shoe organization.
- Walls & Floors. A mudroom should be waterproof, durable, and cleanable. So stain-resistant paint or wall paneling and easy-to-clean flooring like tile or vinyl are a must. Stay away from materials that aren’t water-resistant, like carpet and hardwood.
- Rugs & Floor Mats. A rug or mat protects the flooring and keeps the dirt in the mudroom. Make sure it’s slip resistant, easy-to-clean, and durable. Try a small rug in front of the door or a runner that extends across the room, in case someone doesn’t take their shoes off at the door.
- Bins & Baskets. Bins and baskets for each family member’s stuff are vital tools for organizing. Each person can have their own little space, which helps keep the room organized and makes your days more efficient. Bins and baskets are a great solution for both shoes and sports gear, too.
Contact Ernest Homes Today!
Start planning your move now so you can apply these helpful mudroom design ideas to your new home! Several of our floor plans include a mudroom, and we invite you to browse through Ernest Homes’ communities to find the one that fits your family best. Our team is happy to help guide you. Give us a call at 912-660-9673 or connect with us online today with any questions!